When you’re a homeowner, one of the scariest dangers to your home and loved ones is the potential for a fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners suffered nearly $1.6 billion in losses by means of unforeseen or careless fires. Unfortunately, fires are unpredictable and are often preventable -- with a little knowledge of where to look. And hopefully you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that sends you emergency responders ASAP if you experience an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In Oceanside?
Fires may start anywhere with no warning in the house. However, you can lower the risk of a blaze if you take safety measures around the following objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is overwhelmingly the number 1 cause of a house fire in Oceanside. Cooking-related fires most often start when the kitchen goes unattended while making the meal. Water used on a grease fire only works to spread a flame that would otherwise be easily handled.
- Candles: Going to sleep in a room with a burning candle is problematic, even when you use a recessed candle holder. The flame can easily catch a curtain ablaze if left on a window sill, and animals can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that greater than 7,600 houses were damaged due to candle-related fires between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Old electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, degrading or poorly installed lighting, and split lamp cords is a big risk. Don't overwhelm your outlets or plug an item in with bare electrical components. On the off chance you hear a pop or smell smoke from the outlet, flip the breaker off before investigating.
- Space Heaters: Look past coiled space heaters because junk, like dust bunnies, old papers, or covers can accidentally make contact and catch fire. However, you should also check on fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in usage.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 17,000 home fires triggered by cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. If you enjoy tobacco who partakes inside, be certain they never pass out with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully snuff out your tobacco items prior to placing it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Can Help When There’s A Fire
If a fire should start, you have to have an effective detection system to inform your family members before it's too late. A common smoke alarm might be sufficient but is only able to alert you if smoke is abundant. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's tied to your home security devices -- is able to detect both smoke and excess heat and has more features to ensure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has several it can inform you of rising heat. Your alarms will notify your loved ones with an incredibly loud tone and a notification to your smartphone. Then your ever-vigilant monitoring experts will contact the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you aren’t able to speed home when a fire starts, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent can help coordinate contact between you and first responders.
Protect Your Home With Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in Oceanside should never be written off, but you can have peace of mind if you use a monitored fire alarm on hand. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the fire detectors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (760) 230-3571 or send in the form below to get your home security system.